Teachers of Preschool, Early stage 1 and Stage 1
- Are you interested in learning more about Video Conferencing?
- Would you like to develop more ways to use technology with your class?
- Is the opportunity to collaborate with other classes across the State of NSW appealing to you?
- Do you like to grab opportunities for professional Learning that are low cost and require no travel?
If you answered yes to any of these questions then we have an existing project that we would love to become a part of!
JUJU JOURNEY 2011
Juju Journey is a creative project where students will design and make a Juju (mascot) to send to another school around New South Wales. The project will incorporate outcomes form English, HSIE, Science and Technology and Early Years Learning Framework- Being belonging Becoming.
Participants will be paired up with another class/school and they will share their Juju's over a semester period.
Each class will have 2 weeks to make a mascot with certain criteria and post it to their sister school. Once the class has received the Juju they will discuss where it has come from and any features of the area (view on a map). Students will complete a range of activities about the Juju which be provided in the form of Blooms/ MI Grid.
Classes will meet via video conference to share their information about the Juju they have received it.
Juju journey has been designed to deliver the curriculum in innovative ways! It is very flexible and teachers can do as little or as much as possible as they would like to 'make it happen'. Being a participant will require up to 7 video conferences across the semester period. Teachers will be able to liaise with one another to organise video conferences to suit their classes. (The Juju Project Team will support you in how to set up and run a Video conference!
The project is for teachers within DET (Preschool- Stage 1) who wish to develop Technology Skills with the focus on Video Conferencing. The Juju Journey will assist teachers who have little or no prior Technology Skills!
Participating school must have access to video conferencing facilities.
- Term 2: The first video conference is for teachers and will occur on Thursday 16th June 2011 starting at 3:45pm. This will let you know more about the Juju Project and give the opportunity to ask questions and officially 'come on board'. Prior to this you will receive an email with further information and instructions for this video conference.
- Term 3/ Term 4: This is when most of the Juju Journey action will happen! We will provide you with a timeline of expectations for Term 3/4 during Term 2, so will know what to expect. Your class will be paired with another school and you will be able to organise Video Conferences between yourselves throughout the term.
The classes will also be organised into groups and meet via Video Conference in Week 7 to network and share our journeys.
- Term 4: Our final Video Conference will occur late in Term 4. We will review the project and discuss future plans and ideas.
Our goals for this project are to:
- Facilitate the use of Video conferencing
- Introduce technology in a fun and inclusive way
- Develop Higher Order Thinking Skills for students and teachers
- Connect with other teachers and students across the state
Visit our OPT Join the Journey page to register. Make sure you tick JuJu!
For additional information
Please email any one of the helpful project team! We will be your contact people and assist you via phone, email and video conferencing.
- amy [dot] schafer [at] det [dot] nsw [dot] edu [dot] au (Amy Schafer), Gloucester Public School- North Coast
- rebecca [dot] andrews [at] det [dot] nsw [dot] edu [dot] au (Rebecca Andrews), John Brotchie Nursery School- Sydney
A wiki has been developed for teachers to access teaching and learning materials including pre-made Notebook files and Blooms/MI grids. Samples of these are contained below:
One or more file attachments on this page are provided in PDF format. To view PDF files you can download Adobe Reader for free.