Managing mobile learning
As schools begin to consider how they will implement a mobile learning strategy into their environment they need to ask themselves:
- are we going to allow students to bring their own devices?
- are we going to purchase and manage the devices?
Irrespective of which path you decide, to successfully manage the mobile learning devices in your school you will need to take into consideration several factors including, how your mobile devices are going to:
- connect to school's wireless networks,
- purchase and install apps
- re-image / synch multiple devices and managing master images.
- Apple's iPad in business section entitled 'Work with your work.' Whilst written for business. The issues are the same. Great information on iPhone Configuration Utility, Enterprise Deployment Guide, Mobile Device Management and Enterprise Deployment Guide
- Aruba Networks white paper entitled 'Bring Your Own iPad to Work.'
- Gartner Report on 'Rethinking LAN Switching Architectures'
- Setting up Email. This document was written for NSWDET but can be easily adapted for your network.
- How to connect to your school's wireless network by Jeanette Davies an AUS Apple Distinguished Educator.
Volume Purchasing iOS apps and books
The Volume Purchase Program allows educational institutions to purchase iOS apps in volume and distribute them to students, teachers, administrators and employees. It’s quick and easy to set up your organisation for volume purchasing. First, designate yourself or someone else in your organisation as the Program Manager. Then you can sign up Program Facilitators, which will allow them to make purchases.
Whilst an individual may legally install on an app on up to 5 devices they own, school institutions cannot. They must have a licence for each app on each device. Hence the voulume purchasing plan.
Tip about Visa cards
As a VISA card is needed to create the schools account schools may find it useful to establish the account using a VISA prepaid debit card similar to those available through Australia Post.
Reimaging labs of iOS devices
iOS management software
There are a range of software utilities that are relatively easy for anyone to mass configure and deploy iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch in a school, or institution.
Key documentation for schools
- The full documentation with all the different ways of managing devices. **(iOS 5 based but references the Australian VPP)
- The full documentation with all the different ways of managing devices. **(iOS 6 based but references the US VPP)
- Apple in Education Resources - THE head of the river page of resources! View documentation, video tutorials and web pages to help IT professionals develop and deploy education solutions such as Volume Purchase Program for Education and iOS Deployment Tools.
- Apple's Configurator
- Apple Configurator Overview
- Intro to Apple Configurator
- Introduction to Profile Manager
- Managing iOS Devices with Lion Server